SMS Element 1 of Safety Promotion
A positive safety culture is characterized by values, attitudes and behavior that is committed to the organization’s safety efforts. This is achieved through the combination of technical competence that is continually enhanced through
- Training and education;
- Effective communications; and
- Information sharing.
The airline or airport shall develop and maintain a safety training program that ensures personnel are trained and competent to perform the SMS duties.
The scope of safety training shall be appropriate to each individual’s involvement in the SMS program.
Compliance of this requirement is indicated when:
- There is a documented process to identify Safety Management
training requirements so that personnel are competent to
perform their duties;
- There is a process in place to measure the effectiveness of
training and to take appropriate action to improve subsequent
- There is a process that evaluates the individual’s competence
and takes appropriate remedial action when necessary;
- Training includes initial and recurrent training; and
A training record is maintained for all personnel trained.
This element is satisfied when the organization routinely monitors the SMS performance to identify potential areas of improvement and the outcomes of
this process lead to improvements to the safety management system.
SMS Pro modules used to support this requirement
- Training includes human and organizational factors including
non technical skills with the intent of reducing human error;
- Training requirements are documented for each area of activity
within the organization, including areas where training
requirements are not defined by regulations;
- A training needs analysis is carried out for all personnel and is
Training is provided for personnel working for contracted
organisations related to the operation;
- Personnel have a mechanism to request additional SMS
training in relation to their role in SMS; and
- Management recognizes and uses informal opportunities to
instruct all personnel on safety management.