Introduction to Aviation SMS Version Controlled Documentation
In the first few years, NWDS provided a couple different solutions for managing version controlled documentation.
One thing we quickly learned is that document management is a complex task when done properly. Also, we found better solutions than what we could provide,so we provide a third party plugin to manage your version controlled documents. The product we provide in the hosted SMS Pro™ is Document Exchange. If we install SMS Pro™ for you, then we will also add this module per request.
Organize your content
- Store your files in a folder structure, just as you would when using your trusted Windows Explorer. Any document belongs to exactly one folder.
- Organize your files using categories. Any document can belong to multiple categories.
- Share your files across your portal. Every DMX module is a virtual drive into an underlying folder structure. Instantiate multiple DMX instances in your portal and allow your users to share content across the portal.
- Link to content in DMX using URL that will navigate to content automatically
- Syndicate content from DMX using RSS
- Use the wizard to upload content. Uploading becomes much more user friendly using a wizard interface, guiding the user through the process.
- Upload control shows progress and prevents mishaps. The upload control gives the user feedback about the upload process.
- Upload multiple files at once.
- Double click download.
- Download by email.
- Choose between upload controls
- Unzip on upload
- Specify a thumbnail for a document (new)
- Every item (folder, document, etc) has its own security settings.
- Permissions are both role- and user based.
- Permissions are extensible. By default ADD, VIEW, EDIT, APPROVE are available. For custom applications more can be added.
- By default permissions are inherited upon creation of an item.
- Files are hashed and renamed to prevent direct download.
- Files can be saved outside the portal root and even to a network share to further complicate tampering.
- Administrators can decide to switch off permission setting by regular users for particular branches of the document tree
- Document Administrators can revive documents from the last stage of deletion, called the graveyard (new)
- Use the search box above the file list to quickly filter a list without interaction with the server (i.e. this is lightning fast)
- Search engine is configurable and can set changed per portal.
- Document contents are indexed using DotLucene® search engine or MS Indexing Service.
- Use our unique on screen search panel to search the entire contents of the repository
- Search on any field or combination of fields.
- Use an advanced search box to compile your own Lucene syntax queries.
- Limit search to folder/subfolders
- Highlights in search results (new)
- Subscribe to content and be notified upon changes
- Use of tokens means admin can make custom notifications
- The notification mechanism can be expanded for use in custom applications
- Notifications are pooled and sent in batches to avoid email floods
- Email documents from within the module to others (new)
More Information About Aviation SMS Documentation
FAA Safety Management System (SMS) Framework PDF
UK Civil Aviation Authority Operations & Safety
GCAA Advisory Publication CAAP 50 on Safety Management System (SMS) PDF
Australian Government Advisory Circular AC 145-1(0) Draft PDF