What Is a Virtual Safety Office?
There are many smaller aviation service providers without the infrastructure or expertise to efficiently manage their own SMS. These operators are not SMS subject-matter experts and need help! Their SMS may (or may not) be required, but the need exists, nonetheless. Examples of these operators include small:
- Corporate flight departments (less than 40 employees);
- Aviation Maintenance Organizations (AMOs or MROs);
- Drone operators;
- Agricultural operations;
- Sightseeing tour operators; and
A Virtual Safety Office (VSO) would benefit these operators by improving their safety cultures and economically providing SMS subject matter expertise.
There are many SMS activities that these operators may need assistance with, such as:
Creating or updating their SMS manuals;
- Collecting safety event data;
- Conducting risk analysis;
- Documenting risk management activities;
- Performing safety promotion activities; and
- Managing standard SMS components.
Benefits of Virtual Safety Office (VSO)
Your VSO can provide these operators the same capability as larger organizations by using an SMS Internet portal operated by a Safety Analyst Mentor (SAM). For legal purposes, we avoid the use of terms like "virtual safety manager" or any title using "manager" as the word "manager" implies a level of control for administering all or part of the company. To avoid potential legal liability, we do not want to implicitly or explicitly claim to possess company authority.
Your VSO will enable smaller operators to capitalize on the features and capabilities of a robust SMS Web application for a very low monthly subscription fee. A dedicated, trained Safety Analyst Mentor (SAM) becomes part of your VSO subscription and performs the following functions:
SMS Application administration
- Hazard /Safety event identification, analysis, tracking and assignment
- Trend analysis
- Assist with risk analysis
- Create reports
- Client coaching, training and mentoring
- Track and manage action item assignments
- Perform safety promotion activities (surveys and newsletters)
- Update stored manuals, documents, policies and procedures as directed by client